Re: GNU Octave is "the GNU counterpart of Matlab" but above all Gnu Octa

From: Nicolas Pettiaux
Subject: Re: GNU Octave is "the GNU counterpart of Matlab" but above all Gnu Octave is Gnu Octave!!!
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:39:19 +0100

2007/2/2, John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:

| "That is to say, Octave can replace Matlab in most circumstances and
| for solving most of the problems solved with Matlab, with the same
| code."

Do you really think this is true?  What class of problems is included
in "most"?

good question

I must agree that I am partly preaching what I would like to believe.

What I can say, is that for the uses that I have, that are related to
learning Matlab, and usages in the faculty of applied sciences where I
teach, as well as at other institutions I know (eg. EPFL) at
undergraduate and gradute levels, octave can indeed replace matlab.

I think statements like this (which I think is just a longer way of
saying "clone" while avoiding that word) leads people to believe that
Octave is 100% compatible when it is not, and when there are many
Matlab features that simply do not work with any version of Octave.

this is indeed true, so I will not put this sentences.

Thank you very much

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Pettiaux - email: address@hidden