Re: GNU Octave is "the GNU counterpart of Matlab" but above all Gnu Octa

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GNU Octave is "the GNU counterpart of Matlab" but above all Gnu Octave is Gnu Octave!!!
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 03:20:12 -0500

On  2-Feb-2007, antonio palestrini wrote:

| To return to the discussion it seems to me strange that speaking about
| Gnu we make
| refined academic debate (and this is fine)  and  speaking about Octave
| we are happy we the "clone definition".

Some of us aren't happy with the "clone definition".  I thought that
why we were off on this tangent.

| I confess that "Gnu
| counterpart of Matlab" is also not very precise like for example "a
| Matlab-like environment". The best definition is the John's one "a
| free implementation of the Matlab language"

I don't think I typically call it that.

What is wrong with the statement at the top of www.octave.org:

  GNU Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for
  numerical computations. It provides a convenient command line
  interface for solving linear and nonlinear problems numerically, and
  for performing other numerical experiments using a language that is
  mostly compatible with Matlab. It may also be used as a
  batch-oriented language.

?  OK, it is a little long.  You could shorten it to

  GNU Octave is a system for numerical computations with a language
  that is mostly compatible with Matlab.

| It is a GNU supported project which is similar to the
| Matlab language and environment".

What you have in mind when you say it is a "GNU supported project"?

Octave is a GNU project because I agreed with the FSF (RMS) to call it
that, and to also agree to promote the GNU project and free software.

jwe