Re: wikibook: As Octave is used and developped today nearly as a MATLAB

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: wikibook: As Octave is used and developped today nearly as a MATLAB clone,
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:30:43 -0600

antonio palestrini wrote:
2007/2/1, Nicolas Pettiaux <address@hidden>:
I have edited the wikibook
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MATLAB_Programming to go "As Octave is
used and developped today nearly as a MATLAB clone" ?

Dear Nicolas,
what about to follow the R/S-plus relationship and say something like
"As Octave is used and developed today as a GNU MATLAB".

Octave is a "Gnu Matlab" .. what do you all think?

Aside from the obvious problems with trademark infringement that statement poses, it sounds as strange as saying Linux is a "GNU Windows". (Anyone remember Lindows? Microsoft took them to court over it.) I think John's statement yesterday (I hope I remember correctly since I already deleted the mail) that Octave is a free implementation of the Matlab language is the most accurate description.

Quentin