Re: Octave and Matlab (was: Wikibook on octave)

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Octave and Matlab (was: Wikibook on octave)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:31:05 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Javier Arantegui wrote:

I'm not a developer and am pretty ignorant in these things. What should I do to send a patch, for example to improve Octave's help? Where can I learn to do it?

* Well, the best way to do it is to download the current CVS archive (see
  the "Anonymous CVS" section of
  http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html).
* Edit the file you want to patch (i.e. if you wanted to modify the help
  for the plot.m command, you would edit scripts/plot/plot.m).
* Make a diff file:
  cvs diff -u scripts/plot/plot.m > plot.diff
* Submit the plot to the maintainers (or bug) list with a changelog (see
  the ChangeLog file for examples of how to format your ChangeLog entry)

Over time, you will need to update your cvs sources with the
cvs up
command.  You only have to do the last 3 steps after the first time.

Have fun!

Bill

--
"Next week I'll tell you how to get electricity from your houseguests."
  -- Dilbert