Re: 2D matrixes into a 3D matrix

From: antonio palestrini
Subject: Re: 2D matrixes into a 3D matrix
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 04:01:56 +0100

If the time interval of the observations is regular
then you know how many observations you have in, let's say, a week or
a month, etc. and you can use the David solution.
In the case of irregular time observation interval, if you may guess
the maximum number of
observations, say Nmax, then set the size of the 3D matrix to this
number (with an impossible temperature!) and then cut the non-filled
part with the "excise" function applied to the vectorized matrix A. As
usual the code is more simple than the description

--------------------------------
A = -1000*ones(50,40,Nmax);  # -1000 is impossible both in centigrade
and in fahrenheit
  ...write a loop from 1 to Nmax and fill the A matrix with the obs. you have
b = excise(A(:),-1000);   # cut the non-filled part and put the result
in the vector b
B = reshape(b,50,40,N);  # create the desired matrix with the
effective number of obs.

 In the case of no idea regarding the number of obs. then you have to
resize the 3D matrix every time, for example if A collects the first N
matrices then type

where B is the new matrix (50x40) recording the obs. N+1.

antonio