Re: Wikibook on octave

From: Nicolas Pettiaux
Subject: Re: Wikibook on octave
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:23:57 +0100

2007/1/29, John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
On 29-Jan-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| Feel free to copy the sparse matrix stuff from the octave manual as
| well. The introductory material there might make a good addition and is
| something the matlab manual doesn't have yet either..

thanks David

I suppose that would be OK, but why not just place a pointer in the
wikibook to the Octave manual (which is also available on the web).

I think that, even if the octave manual is freely available on the
web, other ressources, books, explanations, examples ... at different
levels, written by different people would be welcome and help spread
the word abot octave and its qualities.

One of the thing we lack now I think are bookshelves with books about
octave, at least in French there not not that many in comparison to
the ones about / using Matlab !!

What is the goal of the wikibook?  To provide an additional manual for
Octave, or provide some pointers for new users, or something else?

For me wikibooks provide indeed free books, but there can be different
books about the same subject with different approaches for example.

I (sort of) understand the goal of providing free documentation for
Matlab, which is something that doesn't otherwise exist.  But for
Octave, we already have some free documentation, and our goal is to
include and distribute free documentation along with Octave.
this is a good idea, and we could make sure that the books about
octave written with the help of wikibooks could be easily exported and
distributed with octave. For example, some topical books.

So it
would be useful if people who want to improve the documentation
available for Octave would submit changes to the Octave manual itself
rather than writing a new and separate manual.

I agree and I am also convinced that today, wikipedia and wikibooks
are important sources of information that many people consult and
contribute to as they provide some easy interface. This could help us.

Perhaps some additionnal chapters to the official Octave manual could
be written through wikibooks ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

jwe