Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:07:56 -0600

On 17/01/07, Alexander Barth <address@hidden> wrote:
I wrote some plotting routines to visualize ocean model results

Sweet! This is good for me, because ocean modelling is an eventual
goal of my underway Master's thesis.

I called this package Yapso, Yet Another Plotting System for Octave.

Heh, it was a matter of time before someone decided to use a name of
this type (yet another...) for a plotting engine.

It is intended to be compatible with Matlab plotting commands.

Good intentions!

What I missed from existing graphics packages was offscreen
rendering (matlab's -nodisplay option) which allows you to create
plots from a cronjob or from a webserver cgi.

I get the impression that you were hankering for other things too. The
quivers look nice. BTW, what possessed you to write a plotting engine
from scratch instead of working on one of the existent ones?

You can download it from http://yapso.sourceforge.net/ and demos can
be found at http://yapso.sourceforge.net/demo.html.

I am reporting a successful and easy installation of your software and
a successful run of the demo.

Yapso is bundled as an octave package which is installed by "pkg install
yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz".

It would be nice to get it packaged for Debian and derivatives. I'd
offer to do it, but I'd rather not make promises I'm not certain I can
keep.

Good work!
- Jordi G. H