Re: Replacing Matlab by Octave in ULB

From: Stefan de Konink
Subject: Re: Replacing Matlab by Octave in ULB
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 02:24:54 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:

> What is your experience about matlab vs octave, especially in
> Universities, research institutions and companies ?

I'm a student in the University of Amsterdam. The biggest
problem with the Matlab compatiblity were extensions (like the
visualisation toolkit). The IDE of Matlab allowed some handy debugging,
for experienced users. And some functions work different or are not
available.

- To solve the first problem I suggested OpenCV to my project group,
using Python/C. Since it does a better job for what we needed to do.

- The second problem I don't have solved yet, because I don't use Matlab
at all.

- The third issue was just a lab assignment rework. Check your assignments
on compatiblity. Most of it works, but the tiny details make it very hard
to code (and endless debugging).

Yours Sincerely,

Stefan de Konink