Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:19:14 +0100

Alexander Barth schrieb:
Thomas Treichl wrote:
Alexander Barth schrieb:
Thomas Treichl wrote:
David Bateman schrieb:
Alexander Barth wrote:
Joe Koski wrote:
on 1/17/07 8:46 PM, Marius Schamschula at address@hidden wrote:

Oops,

I was a bit quick to say that yapso installed correctly:

The install died with
checking for glBegin in -lGL... no

but

Saturn:~ marius$ nm /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib | grep glBegin
00002d7c T ___indirect_glBegin
         U _glBegin
         U ___indirect_glBegin
         U ___indirect_glBegin

Any ideas?

Marius

Marius,

As far as I know the pkg install feature is broken on Macs with
octave-2.9.9. The untar.m routine was having Mac problems, and I
offered to
be the Mac tester, but nobody responded. I was waiting for 2.9.10
before
trying again. You could probably work around the problem by manually
using
mkoctfile and manually installing the package. YAPSO sounds very
promising.

Joe

Thank you for sharing your experience with untar. What is very
strange is that absolute file names
seem to work. I suspect something wrong with canonicalize_file_name
or chdir. I attached a modified
untar file with some debugging information. Can you execute this
modified untar like:

untar('yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz','test-dir')

and send us the output? Make sure that you use the attached version
with "which untar".

Thanks
Alex

In 2.9.9 there is an assumption that GNU tar is used. This has been
removed in the CVS and it will work on MACs. However, you can't just
take pkg.m, but need a number of other changes and so either a full CVS
is recommended or wait for 2.9.10. This is the major reason I haven't
uploaded the packages of octave-forge to sourceforge or changed the
website over to the new octave-forge web site.

D.
Hi,

David is right, the pkg function (meanwhile) works fine with the latest
CVS from octave on MacOSX (tested the 30min old CVS version right now).
Use the pkg function always with the absolute path and filename, eg.

  pkg install /Users/MyHome/SomeWhere/yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz

Another thing is that if I use the pkg function and I take an invalid
filename then I don't get an error anymore? Is this wanted? On Mac this
means

  octave:18> pkg install /Users/Me/yapso-0.
  octave:19> pkg list
    No packages installed.
  octave:20> pkg install /Users/Me/yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz
  octave:21> pkg list
    Package Name | Version | Installation directory
    -------------+---------+-----------------------
           yapso |   0.2.1 | /Users/Me/octave/yapso-0.2.1

Before I downloaded the latest CVS I think I got an error like "error:
can't find file" or something like that.

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas or Joe,

Can one of you send me the output of
"canonicalize_file_name('yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz')" ?
pkg should work with relative filenames too.

Thanks
Alex
Sure Alex, here you are (I put the yapso file in the directory that I
display with the pwd command):

  octave:24> pwd
  ans = /Users/Me/forge/packages/main
  octave:25> canonicalize_file_name ('yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz')
  ans = yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz

And the answer is "no" - pkg doesn't accept relative filenames on my Mac:

On my system (Linux), it returns an absolute filename (which I think is the
correct behavior, or
not?). I think this is the problem which prevents you to install packages with
relative filenames.

Thanks,
Alex

The same behaviour on my Linux machine ;o) So I should have a more closer look to the pkg command on my Mac machine - ie. what is happening under MacOSX. I then start a new thread about the MacOS problem the following days. John already told us to reply to the maintainers list with the yapso thread.

Bye, Thomas