Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:11:10 -0500

Thomas Treichl wrote:
> David Bateman schrieb:
>> Alexander Barth wrote:

>>> Thank you for sharing your experience with untar. What is very
>>> strange is that absolute file names
>>> seem to work. I suspect something wrong with canonicalize_file_name
>>> or chdir. I attached a modified
>>> untar file with some debugging information. Can you execute this
>>> modified untar like:
>>>
>>> untar('yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz','test-dir')
>>>
>>> and send us the output? Make sure that you use the attached version
>>> with "which untar".
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Alex
>>>

>> In 2.9.9 there is an assumption that GNU tar is used. This has been
>> removed in the CVS and it will work on MACs. However, you can't just
>> take pkg.m, but need a number of other changes and so either a full CVS
>> is recommended or wait for 2.9.10. This is the major reason I haven't
>> uploaded the packages of octave-forge to sourceforge or changed the
>> website over to the new octave-forge web site.
>>
>> D.
>
> Hi,
>
> David is right, the pkg function (meanwhile) works fine with the latest
> CVS from octave on MacOSX (tested the 30min old CVS version right now).
> Use the pkg function always with the absolute path and filename, eg.
>
>   pkg install /Users/MyHome/SomeWhere/yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz
>
> Another thing is that if I use the pkg function and I take an invalid
> filename then I don't get an error anymore? Is this wanted? On Mac this
> means
>
>   octave:18> pkg install /Users/Me/yapso-0.
>   octave:19> pkg list
>     No packages installed.
>   octave:20> pkg install /Users/Me/yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz
>   octave:21> pkg list
>     Package Name | Version | Installation directory
>     -------------+---------+-----------------------
>            yapso |   0.2.1 | /Users/Me/octave/yapso-0.2.1
>
> Before I downloaded the latest CVS I think I got an error like "error:
> can't find file" or something like that.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

Thomas or Joe,

Can one of you send me the output of
"canonicalize_file_name('yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz')" ?
pkg should work with relative filenames too.

Thanks
Alex

  Alexander Barth

  Ocean Circulation Group
  University of South Florida
  College of Marine Science
  140 Seventh Avenue South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33701
  USA

  Phone: +1-727-553-3508     FAX:   +1-727-553-1189