Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:41:11 -0500

Hi Marius,

thanks for trying out Yapso. See my comments below:

Marius Schamschula wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried installing yapso on my Mac OS X 10.4 box with octave 2.9.9. I've
> run into a problem with the "pkg install" mechanism:
>
> octave:1> pkg install yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz
> warning: You have not defined an installation prefix, so the following
> will be used: /Users/marius/octave/
> tar: yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
> warning: implicit conversion from scalar to string
> error: tar: tar exited with status =
>

> 1) How do I specify the installation prefix? yapso should be globally
> accessible, not in my personal home directory.

If you launch octave as the root users, it will be installed globally (in
[OCTAVE_HOME()
/share/octave/packages] I think).

> 2) Why is tar failing to find the tarball? I invoked octave in the
> download directory.
>
> octave:1> ls
> yapso-0.2.1             yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz

That's strange, the error seem to be related to the package manager. Can you
install other octave
packages, like the optim  (http://octave.dbateman.org/optim/index.html) ?

Also does the following command work for you?

octave:1> untar('yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz','test-folder')

As a work-around, you can also specify an absolute path for installing a
package:

pkg install /home/abarth/Download/yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz

I hope this helps!
Cheers,
Alex

> I manually extracted the archive, and it is complete.
>
> On Jan 17, 2007, at 6:45 PM, Alexander Barth wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wrote some plotting routines to visualize ocean model results
>> (although it can be used for other
>> applications). I wanted to share it because it might be useful for
>> others as well. I called this
>> package Yapso, Yet Another Plotting System for Octave. It is intended
>> to be compatible with Matlab
>> plotting commands. Yapso is based on the OpenGL libraries and it uses
>> (currently) the GLUT toolkit
>> (freeglut or openglut). Yapso is loaded dynamically in Octave as
>> oct-functions which allows a tight
>> integration in Octave.
>>
>> What I missed from existing graphics packages was offscreen rendering
>> (matlab's -nodisplay option)
>> which allows you to create plots from a cronjob or from a webserver cgi.
>>
>> You can download it from http://yapso.sourceforge.net/ and demos can
>> be found at
>> http://yapso.sourceforge.net/demo.html.
>>
>> Yapso is bundled as an octave package which is installed by "pkg
>> install yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz".
>>
>> Have fun!
>> Alex
>

> Marius
> --
> Marius Schamschula                               Webmaster
>
>         The Huntsville Macintosh Users Group
>                     www.hmug.org
>
> webmaster at hmug dot org    marius at schamschula dot com

  Alexander Barth

  Ocean Circulation Group
  University of South Florida
  College of Marine Science
  140 Seventh Avenue South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33701
  USA

  Phone: +1-727-553-3508     FAX:   +1-727-553-1189