Re: How to average to find 'circular' symmetry in a SQUARE matrix?

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: How to average to find 'circular' symmetry in a SQUARE matrix?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:31:51 -0800

Doug,

Yes, 1 degree, 10 degrees, or 127 degrees, image that is
represented by x-y data set is perfectly axisymmetric.

How do I use polar notation to average?

       - Robert -

Chris,

How do I use 2D Lagrange interpolation?  Sounds exactly
what I need, but didn't find any functions that looked like
it would do that.

What were you using it on?

        - Robert -

From: "Chris Zarowski" <address@hidden>
> Maybe I misunderstand, but it sounds like
> you need to do interpolation in 2D.
>
> There is a 2D form of Lagrange interpolation
> that is perhaps the easiest thing.
>
> The idea is to interpolate over a desired circle
> (appropriately centered), and average the interpolants.
>
> I actually had this problem in processing some
> grey-scale images from a thin-film optics experiment.
>
> Chris Z