Re: Illegal instruction -- stopping myself...

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Illegal instruction -- stopping myself...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:24:53 +0100

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 28.11.2006, 09:48 -0500 schrieb seawulf sunysb:
> Actually, I ran my codes on 3 different systems, both Redhat and Cygwin
> finished and gave the right answers, only the Debian gave the panic message,
> and the message in the previous email is the only output.

That's usually a sign of a bad/inconsistent library.

> What additional message might be more helpful?

For a start: the versions of Octave and ATLAS you are using (and while
we are at it, the Debian version). Your architecture, as this might be a
library problem.

You can get this information by running
        reportbug -o bug.txt octave2.1
from the commandline (provided that the reportbug utility is installed
and you are using Octave 2.1. Otherwise, change as appropriate).

This should save the report in the file bug.txt, which you can send to
the list. Please include the code that triggers the crash.

That said, you are free to report bugs to your distribution. Debian has
just reached bug number 400000, they don't mind another few ...

> Do you think that reporting bug to Debian/Octave is the only thing I
> can do?

It's the usual start for bugs getting fixed: they get reported.

Regards
        Thomas