Interested at becoming more proficient at compiling and debugging octave

From: bramblewood
Subject: Interested at becoming more proficient at compiling and debugging octave
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:10:45 -0800

I have been studying mathematical physics and signal processing for a few years
now.  However I have almost no programming, compiling or debugging experience.
I saw that octave was such a dynamic scientific tool and have become interested
in these computer systems aspects of a well run version of it.  When I tried
reading the file code after downloading the latest version of octave I realized
that some background in program engineering would greatly help my scientific
work.
What would you recommend, as far as informational web sites or books go, to
help
me compile and debug a solid version of the program and, if there are any,
What types of other key ideas or pointers should I keep in mind being new to
programming?

Thanks very much- Patrick address@hidden