Re: Lining up the axes of multiplots/subplots

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Lining up the axes of multiplots/subplots
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:38:56 -0500

On 19-Nov-2006, Matthias Brennwald wrote:

| Yes, it IS a gnuplot problem, and it's not that difficult to solve
| (see my previous post). BUT: what is the clean method to talk to
| gnuplot from Octave? I believe the internal __gnutplot_XYZ__ commands
| are not intended to be used directly by 'normal' users, right?

Right.  In the future, mixing higher-level plotting commands and
sending commands directly to gnuplot will have even more unpredictible
results than they do now.  For some background, please read

  http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2006-November/001299.html
  http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2006-November/001301.html

in particular, the last paragraph of the first message, in which I said

  Until we have a fairly complete set of object graphics properties
  available, we will just have to tell people that if they want full
  control over graphics, they will need to write their data to a file
  and use their favorite plotting package to generate the plots.  This
  has really always been the case.  It's unfortunate that Octave ever
  had the gplot and gset commands that made it appear that complete
  control over gnuplot was possible (it never was).

We will probably make it easier to communicate directly with gnuplot
by allowing you to do the things that are outlined in the second
message linked above, but you will have to assume complete
responsibility of the plot as mixing arbitrary calls to
__gnuplot_raw__ with the higher-level plotting commands will not
work.  Given that, I wonder why one would not simply write out data
files and then run gnuplot separately.

In any case, there is no way that mixing calls to __gnuplot_raw__ with
the higher-level plotting commands can work if we hope to be able to
implement the print command for things like multiplot figures.

jwe