Re: configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found (although installed)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found (although installed)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:55:58 -0500

On 19-Nov-2006, address@hidden wrote:

| All combinations I tried
| ended with some compilation errors, and I wonder how these versions
| made it into the release.

?  The versions of Octave marked 2.9.x have all be development
snapshots.  I make them available so taht it is easier for more people
to help with testing, as some people seem to feel more comfortable
working with a snapshot instead of updating from CVS.  Also, making
snapshots helps to debug the part of the build process that creates
the tar file distributions.

In any case, the download page says this about the development
snapshots [EMPHASIS added]:

  [the "development" version is the] most recent snapshot of the
  development sources. Use this if you want the latest features AND IT
  DOESN'T BOTHER YOU THAT YOU MIGHT RUN INTO A FEW PROBLEMS (if you
  do, please report them).  If you are interested in up-to-the-minute
  changes, you may use the sources from the public CVS archive instead
  (see below for details).

jwe