configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found (although installed)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found (although installed)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 18:28:39 -0500

On 19-Nov-2006, Norbert Hauser wrote:

| I am desperately trying to compile octave-2.9.6.

Why not 2.9.9?  If you are using 2.9.x, you might as well use the
latest one.

| I have installed SuiteSparse including UMFPACK and metis.
| I have set
|  export LDFLAGS=-L $HOME/tmp/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Lib/
|  export CFLAGS=-I $HOME/tmp/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Include/
|
| When running
| cd $HOME/tmp/octave-2.9.6
| ./configure
| somewhere near the end of config.log I read the following error messages (see
below).
| What can I do against "WARNING: UMFPACK not found."? Do I have to set
--with-umfpack=yes (or =some lib)?

| Regards,
| Norbert
|
| Here is part of the config.log:
| [...]
| Octave is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu

Run configure like this:

  configure CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/tmp/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Include" \
            LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/tmp/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Lib" \
            ... other otptions ...

This way, the options will be recorded in config.status, you won't
be turning off optimization for compiling C files, and you will
have set the proper -I flag for the C++ compiler too, not just the C
compiler.

jwe