Re: matlab,octave clone in java. JMathLib

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: matlab,octave clone in java. JMathLib
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:38:12 -0600

James R. Phillips wrote:
The current scilab roadmap at www.scilab.org shows that version 5 is to
be coded primarily in java.  Not due for about a year though - nothing
available to download yet that I can see.

Java is looking like possibly a good choice for open source math
software, with Sun moving toward gpl2 licensing for it.  The scilab
license will be less free than the java it is coded in!  I hope that
may change in the future.

I don't know whether underlying fortran libraries like lapack or atlas can be
linked with it.

Licensing aside, I'm afraid I don't see what makes Java so great for math, or anything else for that matter. Matlab's GUI is written in Java, and I find it ugly and slow. C++ is already object oriented, so why Java?

Quentin