Re: Designing a first-order IIR filter

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Designing a first-order IIR filter
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:23:14 -0500

Shaun Jackman wrote:
On 11/6/06, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:
On Nov 6, 2006, at 7:32 PM, Shaun Jackman wrote:

I can use the `freqz' function to find the cutoff
(-20 dB) frequency for a given filter, specified
by its IIR coefficients and sampling period. However,
if I have a desired cutoff frequency and given
sampling period, how do I find the IIR coefficients
that give the desired first-order filter?
octave-forge has butter, cheby1, cheby2 and ellip
for designing IIR filters.

Thank you. These are all very good suggestions.

I am particularly interested in designing a first-order filter. I
believe the above filters are exclusively higher-order -- please
correct me if I'm wrong. Or can one (all?) of the above be used to
design a first-order filter?
Just give it a try. It works.
Doug