Re: 2.1 branch vs. 2.9 branch

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: 2.1 branch vs. 2.9 branch
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 06:57:12 -0700

On 03/11/06, Ronald Crummett <address@hidden> wrote:
2.  I do recall reading, once, that many of the Octave-Forge functions
have been incorporated into the 2.9 branch - but not all, right?  So if
I install a 2.9.x version I would still need to install Octave-Forge -
but would doing so override some of the functions included in Octave?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the Debian Octave team backports
some of the 'forge functions to the 2.1 branch in their
octave2.1-forge package:

    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/octave2.1-forge

If you're using any apt-based distro, it's probably safe to install
this package (but caveat downloadus, Debian is not Ubuntu is not
Knoppix is not Mepis, etc). I'm not sure, but I think Octave still
hasn't trickled down to the stable Ubuntu releases, so the unstable
Debian packages should at least mix with no problem with Ubuntu's
releases.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.