LOADPATH problem with Octave-Forge

From: Ron Crummett
Subject: LOADPATH problem with Octave-Forge
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:48:08 -0800

Hi -

First of all, thanks to everyone for the input on the advantages of the 2.9.x branch. I have decided to take the plunge and installed 2.9.6 from the Ubuntu repositories.

In doing so, a counterpart Octave-Forge package is not available so I am trying to build it myself. Everything goes will until the very end when I get this message:

To use, add the following to .octaverc:
LOADPATH = [ '/usr/lib/octave/2.9.6/site/oct/i486-pc-linux-gnu/octave-forge:/usr/share/octave/2.9.6/site/m/octave-forge//:', LOADPATH ]; EXEC_PATH = [ '/usr/lib/octave/2.9.6/site/exec/i486-pc-linux-gnu:', EXEC_PATH ];

'No problem,' I say; I've had plenty of experience in editing my .octaverc file in the past. But after doing so, when I start up Octave, I get the following message on startup:

error: `LOADPATH' undefined near line 4 column 112

A search of the archives indicates that something has changed and directs me to read the "NEWS" file. But as I installed it from a precompiled package, I have no such file to consult. What do I need to do so that the Octave-Forge packages load up on startup? Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, for clarity's sake:  2.9.6 on Ubuntu breezy

-Ron