Re: a new octave book and octave based course

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: a new octave book and octave based course
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:21:41 +0100

Wow, this is great news!
This should really be mentioned on the webpage

Søren

Christophe Prud'homme skrev:
John, David, All @ help-octave, All @ the Debian Octave Group

- a new Octave book
===================

A new edition of the book "Scientific Computing with MATLAB" by A. Quarteroni and F. Saleri is out and has been renamed
"Scientific Computing with MATLAB and Octave"

have a look for example at
http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Computing-Computational-Science-Engineering/dp/354032612X/sr=8-4/qid=1162456559/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/102-9952161-4338553?ie=UTF8&s=books

I was the person in charge of adapting the book and porting the scripts for Octave and I used octave 2.1.73 and octave 2.9.6 [*]. Note however that parts of the book work only with 2.9.x x >= 6 (eg the chapter on Partial differential equations which needs sparse matrix supports).

The book tries to point out the differences between matlab and octave if any and help the reader to use both programs with special octave sections where needed. The code in the book is generated automatically when latex-compiling the book and was tested in both environments: there are only very few cases where octave did not work.

I would like to thank John and David who provided very good help and remarks.

[*] both provided by Debian thanks to the Debian Octave group and R.
    Laboissiere

- Octave-based course

Octave is now used at EPFL where A. Quarteroni teaches and Université Joseph Fourier where I teach for courses on numerical methods. Of course, in both cases, the above-mentionned book is used as support.
Feedback will eventually be provided if needed.

Best regards
C.