a new octave book and octave based course

From: Christophe Prud'homme
Subject: a new octave book and octave based course
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:55:55 +0100

John, David, All @ help-octave, All @ the Debian Octave Group

- a new Octave book
===================

A new edition of the book "Scientific Computing with MATLAB" by A. Quarteroni
and F. Saleri is out and has been renamed
"Scientific Computing with MATLAB and Octave"

have a look for example at
http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Computing-Computational-Science-Engineering/dp/354032612X/sr=8-4/qid=1162456559/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/102-9952161-4338553?ie=UTF8&s=books

I was the person in charge of adapting the book and porting  the scripts for
Octave and I used octave 2.1.73 and octave 2.9.6 [*]. Note however that parts
of the book work only with 2.9.x x >= 6 (eg the chapter on Partial
differential equations which needs sparse matrix supports).

The book tries to point out the differences between matlab and octave if any
and help the reader to use both programs with special octave sections where
needed.
The code in the book is generated automatically when latex-compiling the book
and was  tested in both environments: there are only very few cases where
octave did not work.

I would like to thank John and David who provided very good help and remarks.

[*] both provided by Debian thanks to the Debian Octave group and R.
    Laboissiere

- Octave-based course

Octave is now used at EPFL where A. Quarteroni teaches and Université Joseph
Fourier where I teach for courses on numerical methods. Of course, in both
cases, the above-mentionned book is used as support.
Feedback will eventually be provided if needed.

Best regards
C.
--
Christophe Prud'homme