Re: reading mail problems (fwd)

From: Dushan Mitrovich
Subject: Re: reading mail problems (fwd)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:41:50 -0700

I had originally sent this to both Soren and help-octave, but along with
another response - to Quentin Spencer, included below - it got kicked back
by 'wwwcaewisdedu'.  I'm resending this in case the copies addressed to
Soren and Quentin also ran into problems.

Soren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>fre, 25 08 2006 kl. 11:24 -0700, skrev Steven Levine:
>> If S=F8ren is willing, I would recommend he reconfigure his mailer to
>> use quoted-printable for 8-bit data.  This would allow his messages to
>> be correctly rendered by a wider variety mail clients.
>
> I think I've done this now -- hope it helps...

Soren, yes, thank you, this I can read fine.

                            _____________________

Quentin Spencer <address@hidden> wrote:
>Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
>> Would some one tell me what's going on with some of these replies to
>> the Octave helpline?  Most of them are fine, just plain text, but these
>> from <soren> all arrive looking like this, which I can't read.  Can't
>> people just write in plain text anymore?  Or at least include that with
>> the fancy style if they feel there's a real need for the latter.
>>
>> - Dushan Mitrovich
>
> I've never had any problem reading Soren's mails. However, looking at
> the raw message text I do see what you are referring to. Looking at the
> headers, I think the following lines are the key:

> For comparison, your e-mail has this:

> I think either your e-mail program is not capable of reading the
> encoding, or maybe it is not correctly configured.

I suspect the former, as it's a venerable text-based program ('yarn')
that I prefer to all the cluttered gui ones.  But now S. Hauberg has
modified his program's properties to send text, and I have no trouble
reading that.

- Dushan