Re: how to debug this strange load problem

From: frank wang
Subject: Re: how to debug this strange load problem
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:22:56 -0700

Hi, John,

Could you specify how to set the flag -ggdb3? Is this in makefile or configure? Also, how can I find the version of libstdc++  and libstdc++?

After I build octave with -ggdb3, is this correct procedure to setup the debug process?
1) run gdb octave
2) inside gdb, set break point at the load function
3) inside gdb, run

Could you tell me the file name containing load function source code?

I am sorry to ask so many basic questions since I am not familiar with linux command.

Thanks

Frank

On 8/29/06, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 29-Aug-2006, frank wang wrote:

| I have run the strace command. But I do not know how to catch the output
| into a file, so I copied a part of it from the screen and attached here.
| >From the trace, octave did open the correct file and read the correct data.
| However, inside octave, after I typed load test2.txt and whos -v, I did not
| see any varialbes loaded in.

At this point, I think the best way to debug the problem is to run
Octave under a debugger (you might want to recompile with -ggdb3,
which makes it much easier to debug C++ code with gdb) and set a
breakpoint in the load function and step through it and the functions
it calls to find out what is happening.  I don't think anyone else can
do this for you, since you seem to be the only one who is having the
problem.

One possibility is that there is some bug in the C++ I/O library on
your system that is not present on others, or that your version of g++
is miscompiling some part of Octave.  I think you said you were
using GCC 4.1.0.  What version of libstdc++ do you have?  What version
of glibc?  I don't recall having the same problems that you have had
with any version of GCC/libstdc++/glibc, but that doesn't mean that
there isn't a problem somewhere.  FWIW, I am currently using

gcc version 4.1.2 20060613 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-5)

and my latest build of Octave is linked with libstdc++.so.6.0.8 and
libc-2.3.6.so installed from Debian packages.

jwe