Re: Any success building 2.9.7 under cygwin

From: Francesco Potorti
Subject: Re: Any success building 2.9.7 under cygwin
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:56:06 +0200

>that a better way to go would be to install Octave on a small linux distro
>(or strip down a large distro with good Octave support such as Fedora) and
>then modify it to run as a virtual machine and carry the virtual image on a
>usb disk.  This still requires the user to have VMWare player installed,
>however.

I recently tried Qemu (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/), a free
virtual machine emulator, in order to abandon VMWare.  I installed an
old Windows 98 on the virtual machine and I run it satisfactorily on
Linux.  Qemu runs on Windows and Mac too, and preinstalled Linux distros
are provided as virtual disks, so installing Qemu on the USB disk
together with the virtual disk should be possible and probably easy.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040