Re: undefined Integration

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: undefined Integration
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:25:42 -0500

Markus Feldmann wrote:
is it possible to integrate a undefined equation in Octave?

I don't think you wrote what you meant--I don't think anybody knows how to integrate an undefined equation :). However, I'm interpreting your question as having two possible meanings:

1. Is is possible to numerically integrate an equation whose integral does not have a closed form solution?
Yes, try looking at the "quad" function.

2. Is it possible to perform symbolic integration in octave?
Octave is really designed for numerical solutions, but there is support in the octave-forge package for symbolic math. It links to the GiNaC libraries. I don't know it well enough to explain how to do integration, but maybe someone else on the list does, if this is what you're looking for.

Quentin