Re: Installing Octave in Windows XP

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: Installing Octave in Windows XP
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:20:05 -0700 (PDT)

Well as the cygwin octave maintainer, I continue to recommend the cygwin
installation.  Granted, it requires understanding and using Cygwin.  However,
since octave was/is designed for a posix environment, the gain in operatbility
is well worth the pain in training to use cygwin (imo).

Anyway, the math category is available in setup.exe, and octave is definitely
there.  Most likely you are using the wrong "view" in cygwin setup.exe, and
this is confusing you.

When the package list is available, press the view button in the upper right of
the setup.exe window until the text to the right of it indicates "Category".
At this point you will see a scrollable list of catgories in the main pane of
the window, each of which can be opened or closed by clicking on the "+" sign
on the left side of the category name.  Open the math category, and you will
see octave displayed there. Follow normal cygwin operating procedures from
there to install the octave package.  Followup questions may be addressed to
address@hidden, but be sure to read the cygwin web page faqs first to see if
your question is answered there.

Jim Phillips