Re: sparse matrix support on SuSE 10.0 (was RE: dmperm)

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: sparse matrix support on SuSE 10.0 (was RE: dmperm)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:25:39 +0200

Eike Friedrich wrote:
I am guessing that I need UMFPACK and the other sparse matrix related
material in order to get this working? Can you tell me how to
incorporate
this or how you got dmperm working?

I would expect bison, flex, and gperf to be available as part of your
distribution. All of the other missing libraries are part of UFsparse,
which can be found at
http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/UFsparse/v2.0.0/. They should be
easy enough to compile, but others have complained about having troubles
installing them in a place that octave's configure script will find
them. This is getting to be a frequent enough problem that maybe we need
a compilation guide for UFsparse on the octave web page. Anyone who
succeeds please report what you did.

Also, the libraries are available precompiled for Debian and Fedora, but
not SuSE. Does SuSE have the equivalent of Fedora's Extras repository?
If so, it would save a lot of duplication of effort if some willing SuSE
user could create some RPMs for these libraries and save others the
pain. For anyone interested in this, I recommend using the Fedora SRPM
as a starting point.

Quentin

I think I have succeeded in getting UFsparse libraries to a place where
octave's configure script will find them. Now when I try to build octave I
get compile errors as shown below. I am using SuSE 10.0, which uses
gcc-4.0.2, which apparently has much stricter ISO checking and is
increasingly annoying (SuSE has no compat-gcc32 packages). Do these errors
seem to be because of gcc 4.0.2, or perhaps an error in my configuration?
Are these errors to be expected/easily solved? Possibly as a result of these
errors it seems that the octave shared library does not get created. 'Make
check' fails trying to load octavelib.so.

I should not, perhaps, be meddling in these things I do not fully
understand, I have some old matlab code that I would very much like to use
in octave. In order to do this I need some of the sparse matrix funtions,
but I am not familiar with C in any form. Your patience is appreciated.

Eike

What version of UFSparse are you using, as it seems that certain types and functions from UFSparse aren't defined (or maybe have had their name changed)

D.
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/eike/octave/octave-2.9.7/liboctave'
g++ -c  -fPIC -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -g -O2 sparse-dmsolve.cc
-o pic/sparse-dmsolve.o
SparseQR.h:68: error: expected ';' before '*' token
SparseQR.h:70: error: expected ';' before '*' token
SparseQR.h:130: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'cs_dis' with no type
SparseQR.h:130: error: expected ';' before '*' token
SparseQR.h:132: error: expected `;' before 'cs_din'
SparseQR.h:132: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'cs_din' with no type
SparseQR.h:132: error: expected ';' before '*' token
SparseQR.h:134: error: expected `;' before '}' token
SparseQR.h: In member function 'bool SparseQR::SparseQR_rep::ok() const':
SparseQR.h:50: error: 'N' was not declared in this scope
SparseQR.h:50: error: 'S' was not declared in this scope
SparseCmplxQR.h: At global scope:
SparseCmplxQR.h:68: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'cs_cis' with no
type
SparseCmplxQR.h:68: error: expected ';' before '*' token
SparseCmplxQR.h:70: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'cs_cin' with no
type
SparseCmplxQR.h:70: error: expected ';' before '*' token
SparseCmplxQR.h:134: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'cs_cis' with no
type
SparseCmplxQR.h:134: error: expected ';' before '*' token
SparseCmplxQR.h:136: error: expected `;' before 'cs_cin'
SparseCmplxQR.h:136: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'cs_cin' with no
type
SparseCmplxQR.h:136: error: expected ';' before '*' token
SparseCmplxQR.h:138: error: expected `;' before '}' token
SparseCmplxQR.h: In member function 'bool
SparseComplexQR::SparseComplexQR_rep::ok() const':
SparseCmplxQR.h:50: error: 'N' was not declared in this scope
SparseCmplxQR.h:50: error: 'S' was not declared in this scope
sparse-dmsolve.cc: In function 'RT dmsolve(const ST&, const T&,
octave_idx_type&)':
sparse-dmsolve.cc:377: error: 'cs_di' was not declared in this scope
sparse-dmsolve.cc:377: error: expected `;' before 'csm'
sparse-dmsolve.cc:378: error: 'csm' was not declared in this scope
sparse-dmsolve.cc:389: error: 'cs_did' was not declared in this scope
sparse-dmsolve.cc:389: error: 'dm' was not declared in this scope
sparse-dmsolve.cc:389: error: there are no arguments to 'cs_di_dmperm' that
depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of 'cs_di_dmperm' must be
available
sparse-dmsolve.cc:389: error: (if you use '-fpermissive', G++ will accept
your code, but allowing the use of an undeclared name is deprecated)
sparse-dmsolve.cc:468: error: there are no arguments to 'cs_di_dfree' that
depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of 'cs_di_dfree' must be
available
make[2]: *** [pic/sparse-dmsolve.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory