Re: dmperm

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: dmperm
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:18:42 -0500

Eike Friedrich wrote:
When I configured octave-2.9.7 I got;
configure: WARNING: I didn't find gperf, but it's only a problem if you need
to reconstruct oct-gperf.h
configure: WARNING: I didn't find flex, but it's only a problem if you need
to reconstruct lex.cc
configure: WARNING: I didn't find bison, but it's only a problem if you need
to reconstruct parse.cc
configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: COLAMD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CCOLAMD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CXSparse not found. This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: HDF5 library not found.  Octave will not be able to save
or load HDF5 data files.

I am guessing that I need UMFPACK and the other sparse matrix related
material in order to get this working? Can you tell me how to incorporate
this or how you got dmperm working?

I would expect bison, flex, and gperf to be available as part of your distribution. All of the other missing libraries are part of UFsparse, which can be found at http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/UFsparse/v2.0.0/. They should be easy enough to compile, but others have complained about having troubles installing them in a place that octave's configure script will find them. This is getting to be a frequent enough problem that maybe we need a compilation guide for UFsparse on the octave web page. Anyone who succeeds please report what you did.

Also, the libraries are available precompiled for Debian and Fedora, but not SuSE. Does SuSE have the equivalent of Fedora's Extras repository? If so, it would save a lot of duplication of effort if some willing SuSE user could create some RPMs for these libraries and save others the pain. For anyone interested in this, I recommend using the Fedora SRPM as a starting point.

Quentin