Re: Matlab AVI files

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Matlab AVI files
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:47:06 -0500

On 10/08/06, Miroslaw Kwasniak <address@hidden> wrote:
I was able to play your avi with mplayer 1.0pre8-3.3.5

    mplayer -forceidx -zoom -vo x11 x.avi

-forceidx is a magic option for your file ;)

Wow! I'm impressed! Reading the mplayer manpage, I found:

 -idx (also see -forceidx)
 Rebuilds index of files if no index was found, allowing seeking.
Useful with bro-
 ken/incomplete downloads, or badly created files.

Does this mean that Matlab made a "badly created file"?

Also, why the -zoom option? I can't understand the manpage's explanation. :-(

An another option is mencoder

    mencoder -forceidx -ovc lavc -ffourcc VXID -o z.avi x.avi

which gives playable file and reduces size from 150MB to 640KB

Neato! And I can convert it to a more family-friendly format than avi,
right? What would be the command to do that? Can it do Theora? I see
no mention of it in the manpage...

Thanks so much!

- Jordi G. H.