Re: octave vs. matlab speed

From: Tom Holroyd
Subject: Re: octave vs. matlab speed
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 23:21:26 -0400 (EDT)

I have just discovered octave recently and I am
thrilled about it mainly for two reasons - 1. it is
similar to Matlab code, and 2. it is absolutely free!

However, running the same procedure in Matlab is 100x
faster than running in Octave.  Can you comment on why
this is so, and if there are any general rules of
thumb to help speed up simulation time?

1. You get what you pay for.
2. On the other hand, it's rather easier to run it on 128 CPUs,
   if you have the hardware.
3. On the gripping hand, you can get most of the speed back by
   converting just a few .m files to .c files.

Tom Holroyd, Ph.D.
We experience the world not as it is, but as we expect it to be.