Re: fread(fid,16,'*char') error

From: David Grohmann
Subject: Re: fread(fid,16,'*char') error
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:11:18 -0500

David Grohmann wrote:
I am running octave 2.9.6 on a 4 processor Xeon linux machine
I have this line in an m file that runs in matlab, I am in the process
of getting it to run in octave.

fread(fid,16,'*char')

Octave returns this error.

error: unable to find matching native data type for *char

But reading the documentation that octave gives for fread  this should
be ok.
Any ideas?

It appears that changing all instances of "*char" to "char=>char" makes octave no longer complain.

Octave claims to be doing this automatically, but apparently it does not. Is this a known bug?
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Binary-I_002fO.html
"The precision argument may also specify a type conversion. For example, `int16=>int32' causes fread to read 16-bit integer values and return an array of 32-bit integer values. By default, fread returns a double precision array. The special form `*TYPE' is shorthand for `TYPE=>TYPE'."

--
David Grohmann
Senior Student Associate