Multiple function form a single oct-file [was building octave 2.9.5 on T

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Multiple function form a single oct-file [was building octave 2.9.5 on Tiger]
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:00:40 +0300

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 24-Jun-2006, Daniel Oberhoff wrote:

| Ok, I checked, and all the symlinks are to octave 2.9.6. I had some | parts of the older installation lying around which i now deleted (in / | usr/local/share/octave and /usr/local/libexec/octave) and also | modified the ls-R files accordingly. I found a startup script in /usr/ | local/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc but it's empty. Also I do | not currently have a user octaverc (and before it only had references | to load in octave forge and other packages which are not there | currently). The only file I found that mentions min, max and | __gnuplot_plot__ (besides just calling them) if PKG_ADD in /usr/local/ | libexec/oct/, but there is no reference to the actual oct file: | | mark_as_rawcommand ("__gnuplot_plot__");
| dispatch ("min", "spmin", "sparse matrix");
| dispatch ("min", "spmin", "sparse complex matrix");
| dispatch ("min", "spmin", "sparse bool matrix");
| dispatch ("max", "spmax", "sparse matrix");
| dispatch ("max", "spmax", "sparse complex matrix");
| dispatch ("max", "spmax", "sparse bool matrix");
| | I suppose the latter ones are just type morphic redispatchers to | call spmin instead of min for sparse matrices. | | What's the canonical way of pointing octave to functions inside oct | files? Coz I also couldn't find any manual on how this works (how do | extension developers do it?).

In 2.9.6, you should also have some lines like this:

  autoload ("__gnuplot_plot__", fullfile (fileparts (mfilename ("fullpath")),
"__gnuplot_raw__.oct"));
  autoload ("__gnuplot_replot__", fullfile (fileparts (mfilename ("fullpath")),
"__gnuplot_raw__.oct"));

in the PKG_ADD file that is in the directory with the .oct files.

Sorry that this is not well-documented, but you are using a
development version...

If you don't have any autoload commands in the PKG_ADD file, then
multiple functions in a .oct file will not work properly.  If the
autoload commands are missing, then something went wrong when the
PKG_ADD file was constructed.  Are you sure the PKG_ADD file you have
installed is actually from 2.9.6?

John,

Does this mean the the old way of symlinking to a single oct-file to get octave to recognize multiple functions in a single oct-file does not work in 2.9.x ?

Shai