Re: building octave 2.9.5 on Tiger

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: building octave 2.9.5 on Tiger
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:46:51 -0600

on 6/24/06 8:36 AM, John Swensen at address@hidden wrote:

> Daniel Oberhoff wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I do have aquaterm, and gnuplot by itself is totally ok, but I
>> really think that gnuplot is not the problem, there are no complaints
>> about gnuplot not working, its just that octave cannot invoke some
>> functions defined in oct files, __gnuplot_plot___ happens to be one of
>> them. Btw, even if I use X I can run from a non-x terminal by
>> exporting DISPLAY=:0.0 and starting X manually before running any
>> gnuplot stuff.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
> Daniel,
>
> I remember seeing a similar problem when I was messing around with 2.95+
> on my PowerMac.  I was using the fink compiler, so it isn't an artifact
> of using the Apple compiler.  In my case, it was a problem of startup
> files not being run properly.  This was a while ago, so I don't remember
> very well, but it seems like whatever scripts went through and aliased
> function names to OCT files were messed up.  This made it so min, max,
> and gnuplot stuff didn't work.  It may have been a problem of me having
> 2 sets of startup files; one in /usr/local/* for an older CVS version
> and one in /opt/* for the 295+ CVS version and for some reason it was
> finding the older startup scripts.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> John
John, Daniel,

Excellent idea. There are four symlinks (octave, octave-config, mkoctfile,
and octave-bug) that control which version of octave is in use. On my system
they are located in /usr/local/bin. That's where my gnuplot-4.0 is also. It
would be a good idea to do an lsF -l and check that all the symlinks are
pointed to the same version of octave.

Joe