Re: building octave 2.9.5 on Tiger

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: building octave 2.9.5 on Tiger
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:36:55 -0600

Daniel Oberhoff wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I do have aquaterm, and gnuplot by itself is totally ok, but I really think that gnuplot is not the problem, there are no complaints about gnuplot not working, its just that octave cannot invoke some functions defined in oct files, __gnuplot_plot___ happens to be one of them. Btw, even if I use X I can run from a non-x terminal by exporting DISPLAY=:0.0 and starting X manually before running any gnuplot stuff.

Daniel

Daniel,

I remember seeing a similar problem when I was messing around with 2.95+ on my PowerMac. I was using the fink compiler, so it isn't an artifact of using the Apple compiler. In my case, it was a problem of startup files not being run properly. This was a while ago, so I don't remember very well, but it seems like whatever scripts went through and aliased function names to OCT files were messed up. This made it so min, max, and gnuplot stuff didn't work. It may have been a problem of me having 2 sets of startup files; one in /usr/local/* for an older CVS version and one in /opt/* for the 295+ CVS version and for some reason it was finding the older startup scripts.
Hope this helps.

John