Re: Greek symbols in plot labels

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Greek symbols in plot labels
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:20:33 +0000

On 6/20/06, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| An alternate solution, if this is an .eps file you want to include
| with a LaTeX document, is to use something like the LaTeX psfrag
| package for labelling  your graphs. It's relatively easy. You put
| dummy labels with Octave and then use psfrag to put the real labels
| into the finished TeX. This has the added benefit that all fonts in
| your figures correspond perfectly to fonts in your TeX file.

Does that work with PDF files too?

Sort of... You can create a .ps file and then run ps2pdf to generate a
pdf file from that. I usually automate this process by writing a very
simple-minded makefile, so that I can compile the TeX as I'm editting
in Emacs.

On occasions, I've seen this messes up some fonts slightly in the pdf
for mysterious reasons. Sometimes it happens, and sometimes it
doesn't. I'm mystified.

I prefer the epslatex terminal.  You can convert the PS part to PDF
and the TeX part which contains the labels is processed by TeX, so can
contain any TeX fonts/symbols/whatever.

Never tried that. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

- Jordi G. H.