Re: emacs mode?

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: emacs mode?
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:02:36 +0300

the octave emacs mode is distributed with octave so you probably already have it somewhere in your system. If you can't find it, you can get it directly from the cvs:

http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/octave/emacs/

you should put all the .el files somewhere in your emacs loadpath and then, to quote from the octave-mod.el itself:

To begin using this mode for all `.m' files that you edit, add the
following lines to your `.emacs' file:

  (autoload 'octave-mode \"octave-mod\" nil t)
  (setq auto-mode-alist
        (cons '(\"\\\\.m$\" . octave-mode) auto-mode-alist))

To automatically turn on the abbrev, auto-fill and font-lock features,
add the following lines to your `.emacs' file as well:

  (add-hook 'octave-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (abbrev-mode 1)
              (auto-fill-mode 1)
              (if (eq window-system 'x)
                  (font-lock-mode 1))))

Shai

Ronald Crummett wrote:
Hi -
I have heard that there is an emacs mode available for Octave.  (Correct
me if I'm wrong, but what I'd like is for different colors of text for
comments, strings, etc., like in the Matlab editor).  I have tried
looking for this but have not been able to find anything more on it
aside from its existence.  Therefore I have two questions:

-How do I get it?
-How do I set up my .emacs file to use it?

Thanks

-Ron