Re: Problems loading a program in octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problems loading a program in octave
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:53:22 -0400

On 16-Jun-2006, Hayden Rampadarath wrote:

| Hi,
|
|   I did what jon suggested and it worked.
|   Thanx
|
|   but... I got the following msgs.
|   error: plot: no data to plot
|    "(some how it cannot read the data)"
|
|   error: evaluating if command near line 56, column 2
|   error: evaluating if command near line 55, column 7
| error: evaluating while command near line 44, column 5
|   error: evaluating if command near line 30, column 3
|   "(there is no if and while commands there)"
|
|   error: called from'_plt_' in file '/usr/share/octave/2.1.71/m/plot/_plt_.m'
|   error: called from'plot' in file '/usr/share/octave/2.1.71/m/plot/plot.m'

The line numbers in the errors above refer to the line inside
__plt__.m where the error was actually detected.

|   error: near line 135 of file '/cygdrive/c/plates/read_hayde.m'
|   line 135 has   'plot (date, mag_OJ - mag_f1, "04")'

What values do the variables date, mag_OJ and mag_f1 contain?  After
running your script and getting the error, type

  date
  mag_Oj
  mag_f1

at the Octave prompt and you should see the values.  Are they empty?

|   Also if you have an input txt file like
|
|   1.23 233
|   1.34 949
|   1.45 345
|         .
|         .
|         .
|
|   how can I read the data??

If the data is in a file called foo.dat, you can load it with

  load foo.dat

and it will create a variable called foo.

jwe