Re: Problems loading a program in octave

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Problems loading a program in octave
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:56:44 -0600

on 6/15/06 4:21 PM, John W. Eaton at address@hidden wrote:

> On 15-Jun-2006, Joe Koski wrote:
>
> | on 6/15/06 3:51 PM, Hayden Rampadarath at address@hidden wrote:
> |
> | > Hi,
> | >

> | > I am having problems loading a program.
> | >
> | > Everytime I enter 'load C:\plates\read_hayden.m'
> | >
> | > I get
> | >
> | > 'error: load: C:\plates\read_hayden.m: inconsistent number of columns near
> | > line 2'
> | >
> | > 'error: load: unable to extract matrix size from file
> | > 'C:\plates\read_hayden.m'
> | >

> | > any ideas why???
> | >

> |  Hayden,
> |
> | I had the same problem this morning on my Mac. It usually indicates that
> | there is something wrong with the data file format. With an editor, check to
> | make sure that you have the correct (DOS or UNIX) line endings. This
> | morning, I had to delete some hidden characters at the end of the file, and
> | then resave my data with a new blank line at the end.
>
> But the script Hayden posted was not a data file.  It was a script
> file.  So instead of loading it, you just need to make sure it is in a
> directory in the LOADPATH (like the same directory where you are
> running Octave; type pwd at the Octave prompt if you are not sure
> where you are) and type the name of the file (without the .m):
>
>   octave:1> read_hayden
>
> jwe
John, Hayden,

Yes, but octave is complaining about the number of columns and matrix size,
which is characteristic of reading a data file format. When I have
line-ending format problems or missing .m files, I usually get an error on
line 1, but the error is different. If it is a data file, it doesn't need
the .m to be read.

Joe

Joe