Re: Free Octave book in spanish (Part II)

From: Guillem Borrell Nogueras
Subject: Re: Free Octave book in spanish (Part II)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:17:04 +0100

Hi all!

Madhusudan.  You are absolutely right but let me emphasize my reasons:

-  I just wanted the document to be the most widely spreaded possible while
keeping it editable.  Pdf is not editable and not everyone is confident with
LaTeX.  It's been a pragmatic choice since I use LaTeX+emacs+AucTeX+preview
LaTeX even to write my shopping list.

-  Writing about a programming language or a tool is _not_ editing a
mathematical text.  There is not too much math in it. WYSIWYG can do the job.
You should try OOmath2; very nice typing system and very nice output.  I
considered equation editors useless till I found it.

-  I konw and use TeXmacs.  I am a proud emacs fan and I use it to mix LaTeX,
octave and maxima.  It's a great tool but it can't handle such a large file.

guillem

On Saturday 28 January 2006 17:03, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> > I translated the file to ODT because XML is the best format in the
> > effort/result ratio.  ANYONE can edit an Open Office document and it has
>
> That statement is strictly true only for a person who is not very
> proficient with LaTeX. I remember that for my thesis presentation, I had to
> use PDFLaTeX + beamer because it involved the least effort, and I got a
> layout which would have been extremely hard and time consuming to achieve
> with Impress (and time is something that you do not have at the end of grad
> school). It looked so professional, regular,  and yet not tastelessly
> flashy that I was hooked to that combination.
>
> Not to knock OpenOffice or any other WYSIWYG method of producing documents,
> but when you are dealing with mathematical o/p and a large number of
> similarly formatted pages with illustrations, there is really nothing with
> a vanishingly small effort and high return like LaTeX.
>
> Even now when I have to present results of my experiments, creating a
> beamer latex document takes me a fraction of the time it would take with
> any WYSIWYG method.
>
> And do not forget that there are a lot of users of Microsoft's products who
> may not be able to work the OpenDocument seamlessly thanks to that
> company's shameless attempt at trying to keep its market share through
> standards non-compliance. Yes, they can always download and install
> OpenOffice, but that involves extra effort.
>
> OTOH, LaTeX distributions exist for all operating systems and produce
> identical o/p everywhere. There are no conversion hassles involved because
> you are dealing with a plain text file that defines its own format (as does
> XML, but you are more dependent on a specialized program, as against a
> simple text editor like emacs / vi / notepad,  to edit it).
>
> > very nice output.  The pdf conversion is amazing, it can handle pdf 1.4
> > perfectly.  I'm impressed with the formula editor.  It has a latex-like
> > syntax and it's really fast.
>
> As can pdflatex. And formula editor is painful to use compared to just
> typing in the equation. All that time and effort wasted in clicks and
> selects. When I started in grad school, I knew some LaTeX but also used
> Word. I found through painful experience that entering equations in Word
> often doubled or tripled the time and effort I had to invest in writing up
> a document or a paper. There is a reason why LaTeX is standard in
> disciplines that use a decent amount of mathematical text - its the most
> productive and easiest (on the clock, and on your wrists) way of typing in
> those documents.
>
> The Formula Editor is perhaps the single biggest reason to move from
> WYSIWYG to LaTeX.
>
> > >Not only do I not know ODT, but I just realised that it's an OO.o v2
> > >format. You're making me download stuff from the unstable Debian
> > >distribution. :)
> >
> > OpenOffice 2 is in testing now and so is Octave.  We're on Debian testing
> [...]

Guillem Borrell Nogueras
WEBSITE
   http://torroja.dmt.upm.es:9673/Guillem_Site/
BLOG
   http://torroja.dmt.upm.es:9673/Guillem_Borrell/
EMAIL
   guillemborrell_at_gmail.com (personal)
   guillem_at_torroja.dmt.upm.es (CFD Lab. ETSIA)