Free Octave book in spanish (Part II)

From: Guillem Borrell Nogueras
Subject: Free Octave book in spanish (Part II)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:41:46 +0100

Hi all again!

I realize that the previous link was a bit weird.  It points to a plone site
and there shouldn't be any problem. Just in case...

the files are now at my public_html

http://torroja.dmt.upm.es/~guillem/OctaveSpanishODT.tar.gz
http://torroja.dmt.upm.es/~guillem/OctaveSpanishtex.tar.gz

The TeX source needs some extra font package that may not be in tetex
(marvosym and wasysym).  It compiles with both latex and pdflatex but it's
designed to generate a pdf.  After running makeindex pdflatex pulls lots of
garbage, just answer <Enter>, everything should be fine.

Note that the tex document is under a different license because it may become
a REAL book some day.

>This seems like a strange choice. Would there be anyone interested in
>editting these notes who wouldn't know LaTeX? LaTeX is as much of a
>lingua franca in mathematical typesetting as English is in scientific
>communications. I don't know ODT, but I can't imagine that it can
>produce output nearly as beautiful as LaTeX's.

I translated the file to ODT because XML is the best format in the
effort/result ratio.  ANYONE can edit an Open Office document and it has a
very nice output.  The pdf conversion is amazing, it can handle pdf 1.4
perfectly.  I'm impressed with the formula editor.  It has a latex-like
syntax and it's really fast.

>Not only do I not know ODT, but I just realised that it's an OO.o v2
>format. You're making me download stuff from the unstable Debian
>distribution. :)

OpenOffice 2 is in testing now and so is Octave.  We're on Debian testing at
the laboratory and everything goes flawless.  (Read the comment and forget
it: we're making the move to Ubuntu and Kubuntu because we're tired of the
Holy Trinity; Debian is stable, testing and unstable at the same time)

>I don't know a word of LaTeX, but I use TeXmacs (http://www.texmacs.org),
>nice looking documents (LaTeX quality), easier to learn and you can use it
>as interface for Octave  (!) or Gnuplot.

The latex document is too long and complicated to be handled by texmacs.  At
the beginning it was a LyX file till I realized that the document was full of
LaTeX hacks. Now you must edit it in plain LaTeX

guillem
--

Guillem Borrell Nogueras
WEBSITE