Re: Free Octave-Matlab book in Spanish

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Free Octave-Matlab book in Spanish
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:01:56 -0600

On 1/27/06, Guillem Borrell Nogueras <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been teaching Matlab in my university for two years.  During this time
> I've been writing some lecture notes about Octave and Matlab.

Woot! Thanks for this resource!

> The first version was
> written in LaTeX but I translated it to ODT (Open document text) so anyone
> can edit the book, even non LaTeXers.

This seems like a strange choice. Would there be anyone interested in
editting these notes who wouldn't know LaTeX? LaTeX is as much of a
lingua franca in mathematical typesetting as English is in scientific
communications. I don't know ODT, but I can't imagine that it can
produce output nearly as beautiful as LaTeX's.

 > I hope that someone in this list can do a better use of this resource,
> otherwise I'd abandon it.  I think it's a good starting point to write good
> documentation in spanish for octave.

I'll distribute it in my own Spanish-speaking maths school. Maybe
someone will take interest. :)

> you can download the files at
>
> http://torroja.dmt.upm.es:9673/Guillem_Site/CursoMatlab/MaterialAdicional/OctaveSpanishODT.tar.gz/file_view

Er, a strange request. My school's network blocks almost all ports,
especially strange ports such as 9673. I was hoping that it would show
up in the standard HTTP port 80, but it didn't. Can you put the file
in port 80?

Thanks!

- Jordi G.H.