Re: Matplotlib ?

From: John Hunter
Subject: Re: Matplotlib ?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:33:25 -0600

    Paul> You are correct that this is primarily a 2D graphics package
    Paul> although I believe some proof of concept work has been done
    Paul> using VTK.  I've used the 2D plotting a little, but I'm not

There have been two efforts thus far, both proof-of-concept but with
some nice results.  The VTK interface Paul referred to

  http://sda.iu.edu/matplot.html

and some pure python 3D work that uses matplotlib for drawing but is
slow, especially for interactive stuff

  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/mpl3d.zip

The original post announcing this work is here with simple screenshot
here; this code supports simple surface, mesh and 3D scatter plots.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.matplotlib.general/3159/match=surface+png

Recently, I learned a graduate student in South Africa in applied
mathematics would by adding 3D support to matplotlib as her Master's
thesis, so if anyone is interesteed I would be happy to put you in
touch.

Cheers,
JDH