Re: 2.9.4 on mac OSX tiger

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: 2.9.4 on mac OSX tiger
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:54:31 -0700

Marius Schamschula wrote:

I have a proper readline.5.dylib installed in /usr/local/lib, so why should I use readline.a?

If you have multiple readline.dylib libraries installed, then linker
will use the first in its search path. You may tweak the linker search path to
make sure that the correct library is the first one.
That may work for you, but if you want to make an executable he other people
may want to use, it might be too imposing
to force your users to fiddle with the linker loadpath.
Also installing next OSX update could mess it up again.
So linking a static library would produce an executable which would
not need a dynamic readline library.

Dmitri.