Re: Unwanted postscript & pdf plots

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Unwanted postscript & pdf plots
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:30:42 -0700

I suspect that this is the infamous problem of
automatic_replot defaulting to 1 in octave-2.1.53
Set
automatic_replot=0
at the beginning of your script.

Sincerely,

Dmitri.

Shai Ayal wrote:
I'm not sure it will work, but maybe you should try to add another

gset terminal dumb
gset output "/dev/null"

just after the replot

Shai

address@hidden wrote:

Hello,

I'm using Octave 2.1.53, the fink binary version for OS X.

I ssh to the machine that has Octave installed, so have only a
text-based terminal emulator interface to it.

When I want to create figures I would like Octave to write the figures
to files.  I use code like:

gset terminal dumb
gset output "/dev/null"

semilogx (x, y, "r")
hold on
semilogx (x, z, "g")
hold off

gset terminal postscript
gset output "output.ps"
replot
closeplot

But when I open up the resulting postscript files I find two identical
figures (the figures are correct, with both y and z plotted against x).
I expected to see only one figure in the postscript file, and this is
what I get if I ask Octave to plot to a png file.

Am I doing something wrong?  I get the same result if I use terminal
type pdf.  I've heard that gnuplot postscript and Octave interact in
unexpected ways, and that is why it is best to change terminal type to
postscript and then replot only when the figure is finished - but that
doesn't seem to help here.

Thanks,
Neil