Re: octave editor

From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: Re: octave editor
Date: 11 Jan 2006 11:25:11 -0500

alfred ogola <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I recently downloaded the whoe of cygwin to my laptop.
> At school we use MATLAB but I understand I can use
> Octave at home for the same purpose. I wonder however
> what editor Cygwin comes with for Octave. I was almost
> downloading SciTi but it seems I have to be careful as
> my Octave is under Cygwin and not in an environment
> like Unix.

I like gnu emacs.  There is a nice emacs editing mode for octave
scripts.  Also, for those who like it, you can run octave within emacs
and get some emacs help in driving octave.

> Another ssue is where to save my files. And if at all
> I save my files, where will they go to?

I am not sure how to answer this.  At some point you need to figure
out the filesystem and how to put stuff there.  Emacs can put files in
whatever directory you ask it to.

--
Johan KULLSTAM