New installation problem

From: Vic Norton
Subject: New installation problem
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:10:05 -0500

One of these days I will be replacing my iMac G3 with my new iMac G5. I
thought I had octave-2.1.72 installed properly on the G5 (with the help
of Marius). Unfortunately the installation doesn't work. I have no idea
how to straighten it out. Perhaps a complete reinstallation of octave is
necessary. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an example of the problem.

# input:
A = [
   1  2  3
   0  5  6
   0  8  9
];
[c, s ] = givens(5, 8);
GV = [c, s; -s, c];
There are no problems up to this point.

# output G3 (octave-2.1.71):
A([2,3], [2:3]) = GV * A([2,3], [2:3])
A =

    1.00000    2.00000    3.00000
    0.00000    9.43398   10.81198
    0.00000    0.00000   -0.31800

# output G5 (octave-2.1.72):
A([2,3], [2:3]) = GV * A([2,3], [2:3])
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ___powidf2
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/octave-2.1.72/liboctinterp.dylib
  Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.0.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: ___powidf2
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/octave-2.1.72/liboctinterp.dylib
  Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.0.dylib

panic: Trace/BPT trap -- stopping myself...
A =

attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete
Trace/BPT trap