Re: getting a Graphic

From: Jean-Francois Cardoso
Subject: Re: getting a Graphic
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:56:48 +0100

On Nov 29, John W. Eaton wrote:
 > On 29-Nov-2005, Jean-Francois Cardoso wrote:
 > | >From the command line, you can also use [...]
 > |
 > | By the way, this technique (capturing a window) is great for
 > | mutliplots since "print" does not work for these.
 >
 > I suppose this works, but I dont' think I would call it "great".
 > You'll end up with a low-resolution bitmap that won't scale well.

Correct, of course.  But this bitmap may be good enough for many
purposes.  This is just a hack but better than nothing.  And it is
truly great to me when I recall the agony I went through when trying
(with unreproducible results) to save multiplots to files.  That was
some time ago, so maybe the gnuplot interface now behaves better under
multiplot/gset_terminal/gset_output operations.

 > Again, if there are problems doing what you want to do, then I
 > think we should work to fix the real problems.

I could not agree more.  I understand that there is a current (but not
very visible) effort to move to a graphic handle system.  No doubt
that a clean graphic infrastructure will clear most of the problems in
this area.  In my view, this is, by and far, the weakest point of
octave.  I am unfortunately unable to contribute myself to this effort
but I would like to express the warmest encouragements to people
working towards it.

Cheers, JF