Re: cygwin octave-forge bugs

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: cygwin octave-forge bugs
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:21:03 -0800 (PST)

--- Quentin Spencer wrote:

> Hello,
> I recently tried out the latest cygwin octave packages, and they are
> very nice--many thanks to those who made them possible. I have found a
> couple of bugs in the octave-forge package (the latest one, I don't
> remember the release number), and since I'm not sure what the correct
> forum for bug reporting in the cygwin packages is, I'm sending them here:

The correct forum for all cygwin bugs is address@hidden  I receive digests
of postings to this list daily, so should reply within 24-48 hours normally.
Cross-posting to this list is fine.

> 1. Missing dependency.
>
> When I try to use the octave-forge 'legend' command, I get the error
> "kpsexpand: command not found". It appears this function is provided by
> the tetex-bin package. After installing it, the error went away
> (although it was replaced by another error that I think is a bug in the
> script itself, which has since been updated in CVS).

Thanks for pointing this out.  I will try to correct it shortly; I should be
able to fix it without a new package upload

> 2. Core dump in the "waitbar" function.
>
> Calling this function with any arguments I tried resulted in a core
> dump. Based on my knowledge of the code (which I wrote) when the
> function is called from a smart terminal, it tries to get information
> about the terminal and use fancy escape sequences to produce a
> reverse-video progress bar across the terminal. If these features are
> unavailable, it defaults to a simpler version of the function that
> should work in more different environments. I don't know exactly what is
> causing the problem, but it may be possible to get the simplified
> version of the function to work by overriding the settings that are
> detected by configure.
>
> -Quentin

I would like Paul's comment on this.  I would like to do a new cygwin
octave-forge release soon (when the archive is in a releasable state), but I
don't know if this problem will be addressed.

jrp